7 April 2012

3: Trilogies that every geek must read

What can I say I like the number three.   My predisposition to 3 was set way back in elementary school when you have to make some major decisions. The favourite list was rebounded at recess while me and my friends would negotiate who was our all time best friend ,  second best friend,  best friend at guides,  best friend during summer vacation, I think you know where I am going with this.   Did your favourites match your friend's and if not  could you live with that?   In the interest of science here was my grade 5 Favourite List.   Favourite colour?  yellow,  Candy bar?  Chunky, Chips?  Salt n Vinegar, Pop?  Cream soda, Subject?  English, Gym sport?  floor hockey, Song?  Footloose/Beat It, Movie?  Footloose/ Empire Strikes Back, E.T.   Would we be running in the same crowd?

In honour of 3 here are 3 Sci-Fi  trilogies  

1.  Gaea Trilogyy:  Titan, Wizard, Demon by John Varley
Briefly introduced in my Contact post, the Gaea trilogy is one of those books that starts out weird and ends weirder.  I've read them twice now, even had to go out and replace Wizard because Dune Husband left it in a B&B in P.E.I., the summer of 2009; I thought I was over that but apparently not. He is also the same person that destroyed two of my original Dune books resulting in me no longer owning the complete collection. I am fully aware that I am not over that.

Back to the wonderful weirdness of Gaea, Gaea is a sentient, celestial body that has moved into our Solar System.  Six brave astronauts are sent to investigate, learning quickly that their awareness of the world needs to be greatly expanded.  The series introduces a whole new world loosely based on mankind but with a cinematic point of view. The astronauts find themselves stranded on alien-like soil with the survival in great jeopardy. The novel is" first contact"/ love story/ horror/ adventure story.   There are times in Demon that had enough as the strangeness overwhelmed even my ability to appreciate the odd.  Things get pretty nuts.  For example, Gaea takes on the bodily form of Marilyn Monroe and causes pure hell on those that live in her.  If you feel like getting weird but don't want to go all out Vernor Vinge weird (next post, don't worry) the Gaea trilogy is for you.

2.  WWW Series: Wake, Watch, Wonder by Robert J. Sawyer
The books follow the life of Caitlin Decter, a blind 16 year old who has recently moved to Waterloo, ON from the States because of her Dad's work at RIM.   Approached by a Japanese researcher who has developed a new signal-processing implant, she is given the opportunity to regain her sight.  With the implant in place she is not only able to see but is able to see the web in all it's great vastness and intricacies.  While this is fascinating on it's own the true genius of the series is what she discovers in the web or more accurately who. It's a great read full of action and believable characters.  Plus, Sawyer is Canadian, what more do you need?

3.  Foundation Series:  Foundation, Foundation and Empire, Second Foundation, Asimov
Interesting how the Foundation Series keeps sneaking into my posts.   What can I say that hasn't been said before? Just read them okay, consider it homework.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to reading, and commenting on this post! Thank the Maker, thanks you.